Friday, February 11, 2011

Sweet Surrender: The No-Bake Cookie

What do these pictures have in common?


The latest of my pregnancy cravings: oatmeal anything. I'll take the instant kind, or in the yummy granola I made a week or so ago, or my breakfast standby of steel-cut oats, or the oatmeal cookies that once filled my cookie jar -- as long as there are oats involved, I'm happy. It's a fairly healthy pregnancy craving (much better than my mad craving for Coca-Cola that I fought for months. Oh boy, why did I mention that? Mmmmm....Cherry Coke...), except when it comes to the recipe I made yesterday.

At my bridal shower years ago, my twin cousins gave me a cookbook that their elementary school had compiled for a fundraiser.  Those cousins have since graduated from high school and I'll admit, in all those years, I've only made one recipe out of that cookbook: no-bake cookies.

This recipe isn't healthy by any stretch of the imagination. To be honest, they don't even look that good. But I had to have them last night, so I figured I'd document the process and share the recipe with you. How does it fit on a frugal blog?  Ummmmm....you don't have to bake them. That saves energy, right? 

Okay then, on to the recipe!


No-Bake Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 cups oats


Mix sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa in a saucepan over medium heat; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and quickly add peanut butter, vanilla, and oats.


It may look like glop, but it's tasty glop...


Spoon onto a baking sheet lined with waxed paper or, better yet, a Silpat baking mat (they slide right off it when they're done). Let the cookies cool -- I usually stick them right into the fridge to expedite the process.


Once the cookies are firm, remove from the baking sheet and store in an airtight container. Like I said, they're not much to look at, but they're easy and tasty. A nice cure for a sweet tooth -- or a craving for oatmeal.

1 comment:

ross pearl said...



Your blog gave us significant data to work with. Each and each tip of your post are amazing. You're the best for sharing. Continue to blog

ij.start.cannon

www.office.com/setup

Related Posts with Thumbnails