Monday, February 22, 2010

In Honor of National Pancake Day...Again

I'm sure you've marked your calendars already and you know that tomorrow, February 23, just so happens to be National Pancake Day (even though we also had one of these days in September).  What?! You don't have it on your calendar?! Shocking.

 To be honest, I only remember because it is around - and sometimes on - my birthday (which is this Wednesday, in case you were wondering). Really, I think the guy in charge of dedicating days to different foods must have purposefully put pancake day around my birthday because someone told him how much I love them.  Anyway, you can either go to IHOP on National Pancake Day and get a free stack of them (really, you can! Google it. I'll wait.) OR you could make your own stack of them.  I prefer the latter.  IHOP pancakes have nothing on homemade ones.

A few months ago, I shared the recipe I use for traditional, white flour pancakes.  Seriously delicious.  I also love the spelt flour pancakes in the cookbook, Whole Grain Baking.  I'd highly recommend trying either of those recipes.  And then there's the recipe I'm going to share with you for whole wheat pancakes...

When my husband was growing up, his mom had a go-to homemade mix for whole wheat pancakes that she used almost every day (can you believe that, as a kid, my husband and his siblings got tired of having pancakes every morning and envied kids who got cereal?) and a few months ago, I finally got my hands on the recipe. I love homemade mixes - they're inexpensive to make, taste better than the storebought mixes, and are just as convenient.  As you can see in the picture above, we only have a little bit of the latest batch left - we use it a lot here!

Wheat Pancake Mix

8 cups whole wheat flour
4 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 1/2 to 2 cups of vegetable or canola oil

Mix all ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool place.  Note: Depending on your needs and how much you'll use it, you can adjust the recipe. For example, in the margin of the copy of the recipe, my mother-in-law wrote the measurements doubled since she used this mix all the time; I usually halve it when I make a batch (so it fits in the container I use). 

To make pancakes:  Mix 1 1/2 cups of wheat mix with 1 egg and enough water to make the right pancake consistency (this is all about preference - whether you like them thick or thin.  I usually add about 1/2 cup of water).  Cook on lightly oiled, hot griddle.

Yield:  12-24 pancakes per recipe. (This is what the recipe says, but I always question whether to include the yield amount on recipes since mine never matches. When I make this recipe, I don't get 12 pancakes, let alone close to 24. But I don't use a lot of water, so that could affect the amount yielded. I just realized that maybe 'per recipe' means the yield from the whole batch of mix.  I don't know. Just experiment for yourself.)


For the last couple weeks, all my son has wanted for breakfast are 'animal pancakes'.  And who could blame him - these are some pretty yummy wheat pancakes!

1 comment:

Markelle said...

Brent and his brothers envied the neighbor kids because they got store bought cookies like oreos, and the neighbor kids in return envied the Carter boys for their homemade cookies...

thanks for the recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails