Friday, December 11, 2009

Lovely Links: Winter Wonderland Edition

It snowed here on Monday. Of course, me and my little guy bundled up and went out to play the pristine inches of it. That was a lot of fun for a couple days. Then it got really cold. Really, really cold. Once the temperature gets above 20 degrees (for the high temperature of the day - we've been in the teens all week), we'll head back outside. But for now, we're going to do some fun stuff indoors - dare I say it? possibly some crafty stuff indoors. Anyway, what with winter arriving (though not officially winter) and the snow flying, I thought it would be fun to share some winter-related things I found for this week's edition of Lovely Links.

How to Make a Snowstorm - Craftstylish
This was a serendipitous find. I honestly don't remember what led me to this site, but I just love this idea. It's a really cute decoration that costs next to nothing. And it's really easy (my kind of craft), too. It's hard to explain succinctly, so just click on the link. If you look in the picture above, you'll see that I made one, only we used fishing line (we don't go fishing, but we always have fishing line on hand. Super-useful stuff) instead of dental floss.

Creamy Tomato Soup - Joy the Baker
I'm making this next week. I think I'll even splurge for the San Marzano tomatoes (if I can find them). Oooh and I'll make grilled cheese sandwiches with them....

DIY Door Draft Stopper - Not Martha
I'm not entirely sure this will work in my house, on the door I want it for, since it's really only works with hardwood floors. Oh well. I figure someone out there might benefit, so here you go.

Make it: A Snowman Kit - Make it Do
This is such an awesome idea. Making snowmen is one of those spontaneous things (at least for us) and once we've got the guy built, we start foraging around the yard for sticks and rocks and going through the coat closet for accessories. How great would it, instead, be to have a kit all ready, complete with rocks, buttons, a scarf, and even a cool top hat? No more searching in the cold! This link has the complete how-to, including how to make a the top hat. I just love this! Plus, it would make for a great homemade gift for a family you know. I'm going to buy the materials today. I'm even going to be brave (I'm working on getting over my sewing phobia) and make the hat. Who knows, I may even try to make the corncob pipe while I'm at it...

Homemade Hot Cocoa
This is the recipe I used this week. Making hot cocoa from scratch is so easy and so delicious. When I was a kid, my mom would make this recipe (it's the one on the box of cocoa powder) after we'd go sledding or if we'd been out in the yard for a while. So many memories. I just love the changing seasons.

"Maybe Christmas Doesn't Come from a Store" by Jeffrey R. Holland
A beautiful message for this beautiful time of year.

"Getting an inch of snow is like winning ten cents in the lottery."
-
Calvin & Hobbes

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails